Thursday 8 December 2011

Wearable Structure

Wearable structure

From the pleating session i made this and it is what inspired my wearable structure
 
I made this pleat again except on a larger scale
 I then sandwiched fabric(polycotton) between both the pleated sheets of card and pressed it
 


 Once I opened it out it had just fallen flat, this was something i hadn't considered
 


STARCH
As the pleats hadn't worked out as I would have like, I then decided to try starch as this strengthens fabric

Again the pleats fell out even though the starch had strengthened the fabric slightly. Although the pleats didn't work out how i expected I think the images above still look very interesting



INTERFACING
After the starched failed I still wanted to do these pleats, so I asked one of my tutors for advise and she advised me to use a thick interfacing, so i tried a section of the pleats with it and it had worked perfectly...




After doing this sample i did the whole pleat with the interfacing..

 It was really difficult to fold the fabric straight into the pleated card so i had to score all the fabric first before folding it with the card...
 
Then finally i folded the fabric between the card and went on to press it

When it came to putting it into the press i had to do it in sections as the pleats overlapped..



The Outcome





No comments:

Post a Comment